The original do-it-yourself recipe I found for pesto came from the recipe booklet that came along with my Magic Bullet. I thought, "Sweet! If I make my own, it'll be so much cheaper!!" I was a tad mistaken, given the cost of pine nuts...ridiculous cost for such a small amount of such a little nut...grr. Anyway, even though pine nuts definitely add great flavor and can really make the pesto, after my unfortunate expensive buy of a very tiny container of them, I decided I could use something else or just leave it out. Trust me when I say it still tastes just fine.
Healthier Spinach Pesto
- 1 C spinach
- 1/4 C fresh parsley
- 1/8 C parmesan cheese, fresh grated, OR nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Splash of lemon juice
- Pepper, to taste
- Optional: Approx. 1/4 C walnuts or pine nuts, toasted
- Throw everything into a Magic Bullet or small food processor and pulse until the consistency of pesto/paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your desired taste.
- Transfer finished product to container to store, preferably glass. Keeps for weeks in the refrigerator.