Every once in a while though, I find gourmet-ish ideas for sandwiches, and I obviously can't help myself. For example, when I stumbled onto a pin for this spinach, avocado, and goat cheese panini, I seriously HAD TO make it! If only as an excuse to bust out the panini press I have.
I mostly stuck to the recipe, including making my own pesto, but I didn't make their recipe for pesto because 1) it was too involved, and 2) I wasn't about to go out and buy gross anchovy paste, ick.
Spinach, Avo & Goat Cheese Panini
- 2 slices bread
- 2-3 tbsp pesto (I used my homemade Spinach Pesto)
- 2 slices white cheese that melts well (swiss, mozzarella, etc.)
- Handful of spinach
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp goat cheese, crumbled
- Olive oil spray or non-stick cooking spray
- Spread approx. 1 tbsp of pesto on each slice of bread.
- Layer the following, in order, onto one slice of bread: 1 slice of cheese, half of spinach, avocado, goat cheese, remaining spinach, second slice of cheese. Top with other bread slice.
- Heat up panini press or frying pan to medium low heat and spray heavily with olive oil spray.
- Press sandwich down gently and place on heating surface. If using panini press, leave in grill until bread is browned and grill marks show. If using frying pan, cook until bottom slice is toasted. Press down on top slice a bit to compress ingredients. Flip panini and repeat.
- Cut on the diagonal and serve warm! NOM!!