SO in honor of all the vegetarians/vegans out there, I sometimes decide to observe what is commonly referred to as Meatless Monday! Today's Eggplant Tofu Ragout (pronounced rag-goo) recipe goes along with that idea and is completely meatless; although, it's packed full of delicious veggies and a healthy source of plant protein!
Eggplant Tofu Ragout
- 1/2 medium onion (~200g), cut into 1" cubes
- 3 small long eggplant (~250g), cut into 1" cubes
- 1-2 medium tomato (at least 200g), cut into 1" cubes
- 1 box extra firm tofu, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4-inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated or finely diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground cumin (more or less depending on your preferences.
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- Cilantro, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Melt coconut oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Toss the onions in and cook until tender, stirring frequently (about 5-7 min).
- Add tomato and let juices run while cooking covered about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients and reduce heat to medium-low heat. Cover and let cook another 10-15 minutes without stirring, or until eggplant pieces are really soft.
- Stir ingredients one more time before serving.